.Hack//G.U Last Recode is a PlayStation 4 and Microsoft Windows HD Remaster of .Hack//G.U, a single-player action role-playing game series from the PlayStation 2, developed by CyberConnect2 and published by Bandai Namco Games. The remaster compiles elements from all three .hack//G.U. games: .hack//G.U. Vol. 1//Rebirth (再誕 Saitan, lit. "Resurrection"), .hack//G.U. Vol. 2//Reminisce (君思う声 Kimi Omou Koe, lit. "The Voice that Thinks of You") and .hack//G.U. Vol. 3//Redemption (歩くような速さで Aruku you na Hayasa de, lit. "At a Walking Pace"). It also includes a brand new chapter, .hack//G.U. Vol 4//Reconnection.
The story focuses on a player named Haseo who hunts a player nicknamed "Tri-Edge", who defeated his friend Shino and left her in a coma in real life. After being attacked and Data Drained by Tri-Edge, Haseo is found by a mysterious organization known as Raven, and joins their ranks, unleashing a hidden power in his character data known as Skeith. All the while, a mysterious computer virus called AIDA is threatening the existence of "The World" and quite possibly the entire Internet.
- 1080p and 60 frames per second
- High-resolution movies
- High-detail backgrounds and user interface, etc.
Game system evolutions
- If Haseo has fallen in battle, the player can choose to restart the battle from the beginning. Haseo can still be revived by the other party members.
- Movement speed on foot has somewhat increased.
- Auto mode (play with your strongest levels and equipment)
- The item stack size has increased from 50 to 99. The maximum number of item stacks in your inventory has increased from 30 to 90.
- Item menu shortcuts and sort features
- When using an item in the field, pressing X repeatedly will cause the item to be used again without navigating the menu a second time.
- Empty equipment slots are easier to understand
- The maximum number of Chim Spheres and Virus Cores you can possess has increased from 99 to 999.
- Platforms now include the Platform Recovery feature, recovering a large portion of the party's HP and SP. It can only be used once per visit to a field.
- Saku and Bo no longer switch the active player based on their level being even or odd. They can instead be selected as separate options in the Party screen.
- Decreased the probability of allies selling the items you give them
- Voice clips for returning characters and NPCs between games have been updated to use the Volume 3 clips from the beginning, except where said clips are unavailable.
- Attack power has been increased and hit stops during attacks have been reduced to speed up the battle tempo
- Learning weapons proficiency increased and acquired experience points increased
- Awakening scenes can be skipped using the Option button.
- Some of the really tough enemies have been made a bit easier
- Skeith’s general shot bullet speed has increased
- Enhanced battle balance and game pacing to provide an optimal experience
- Avatar battles now show a stun gauge over the enemy's head. Red diamonds have been added around attacks meant to be deflected using scythe slashes that are in range.
- Added suspend feature during Avatar battle gameplay
- In Vol. 3, changed it to make it possible to do the marriage events with all characters that can become your ally, without having to redo them
- A new Cheat Mode allowing players who want to just enjoy the story to start the game with full stats.
- The videos from “The End of the World” Terminal Disc included with the limited edition PS2 release of Vol. 1 are included in the collection.
- A brand new episode titled Vol.4// Reconnection, which takes place a year and three months after the events of Redemption.
- A New Job Form for Haseo.
- A New Form for Skeith.
- Ovan joins the party.
- The Rebirth's Lost Weapon is finally revealed (form)
- AIDA Tri-Edge is still active on Ovan's left arm but becomes part of Ovan's weapons when he joins the party and helps defeat the enemies.
Difference between Trilogy and Vol 4
- You can transfer the save games in the trilogy (Vol 1, 2 and 3) but it is not possible to transfer data to the volume 4.
- If the player chooses to play in the "Normal" option, only the default characters of the story will be available, so: Azure Kite, Azure Orca, Azure Balmung, Bordeaux and Natsume will not be available.
- If the player chooses to play in the "Cheat" option, will be available to all characters (all story characters along with extra characters (Azure Kite, Azure Orca, Azure Balmung, Bordeaux and Natsume), the best equipment, along with chim chim, affection and money at the maximum level. In addition to having the Lost Weapons in level 5.
- Vol 4 is not possible to use Area Words so only the areas shown in the Chaos Gate option are the only ones available.
- Vol 4 only Ovan joins Haseo, there are no more new characters to join the party, but almost all the characters will appear (Sakaki is the exception) to say goodbye.
- Ovan's Lost Weapon is at the highest level, in addition to having only two special abilities, but he can't use any Stream Gunner attacks.
- Wallpapers, Movies, Soundtracks of the trilogy along with Avatar battles are not available in Vol 4.
- Only Ovan and Haseo can have an extra ending (Forever Love or Best Wishes) depending on how the interaction between them has been.