During the creation of The World, Harald Hoerwick created the Morganna Mode Gone system to oversee the birth of the Ultimate AI from the personality data of the players of The World. Eventually, Morganna realized that after the birth of Aura (AI Ultimate), she would have no purpose. After the birth of Aura, Morganna continues her actions to assist in the development of AI Ultimate, but in a different approach, causing it to create the 8 phases of the Cursed Wave. The 8 phases had the objective of capturing/destroying Aura so that Morganna restarted its original purpose indefinitely. During Second Network Crisis events, Morganna creates the phases in the same order (Skeith, Innis, Magus, Fidchell, Gorre, Macha, Tarvos, Cobernik) as the Epitaph of Twilight poem. Each phase appeared in the battlefields of The World, putting in coma to all the players who were defeated by the same phases, even they affect areas outside the World, altering the electrical installations, or relative use of the net in Japan. Thanks to a group of players, hackers and administrators, Morganna is defeated and remains inactive in The World, prevent it from being harmed again. The 8 phases are sent to the sea of data, from where they can not return.
Avatars in the G.U. Games
During Project G.U., the 8 Phases' data, also known as Epitaphs or Morganna Factors, were recovered from sea of data and incorporated into special PCs called Epitaph-PCs, allowing the player controlling the PC, known as an Epitaph User (碑文使い), to summon the phase as an "Avatar". The eight main characters of G.U., also known as the Infinity Eight, are all Epitaph Users. Only rare people with compatible personalities, known as "Chosen Ones" (適格者), can become Epitaph Users. "Chosen Ones" have a connection emotionally to the Avatar they're compatible with. Ordinary people lose consciousness when attempting to use an Epitaph-PC. When "awakened", Epitaph Users can call forth their respective Phase and fight in Avatar Space, an extra dimension that exists outside of the perception of normal users, but parallel to and in direct interaction with the rest of The World R:2.
In addition to the Infinity Eight, known chosen ones include Shino Nanao, who was once the Epitaph User of Innis, and the eight Chosen Ones found by the R.A. Program. Some Avatars appear quite different from the original 8 Phases, incorporating some elements of the appearances of the players controlling them. In .hack//G.U.+, a character named Kazumi controls the Dummy Morganna Factor that Jyotaro Amagi created.
Though the Avatars in G.U. look vastly different to the originals (being more humanoid), many retain traits, such as Magus' long tail, Tarvos being impaled on a spike, and Macha's flower motif.
Avatars in the G.U. Novels
In the .hack//G.U. novels, the Avatars (巫器) are eight weapons with the skill Data Drain. Much like in the games, they are the manifestation of an Epitaph-PC's "Epitaph" and can only be seen by Epitaph Users. When two Avatars touch, an Avatar Space (巫器空間) is formed. Avatar Space is a white space where the thoughts and wills of the users blend. Haseo's weapon is similar to his Lost Weapon. Kuhn's lance and Endrance's rapier also make appearances, yet it is unknown how they may relate to their Lost Weapon's.
Each of the avatars have different interests when they feel attached by a user, turning it into Epitaph User.
- Skeith likes violence, anger, quarreling and determination, to the point of being between sanity and madness.
- Haseo is very violent, cruel and sadistic but with sanity when it comes to destroying an enemy.
- Innis is more linked to sad emotions and to hide feelings from users, creating a different image to reality.
- Shino and Atoli are users with much sadness and pain, but they don't let others see this part of them.
- Magus likes interaction with various users / situations, such as friendship, love, family relationships, at the same time. However, indesicion is also the other counterpart of this aspect.
- Kuhn is usually not very serious in relationships and in the game, he usually interacts and joins groups to later leave them in an unfinished state.
- Fidchell is interested in the knowledge and wisdom of the users. With these factors, it is possible to see a clearer future, but it is usually dark due to human nature.
- Yata wants to know everything about The World, to the point of not interacting with others. He also sometimes fails to understand simplistic situations. This lack of understanding can easily lead him to act both harshly and irrationally.
- Gorre is interested in the personalities of the users, especially those who are very precise emotional control to the point of being on the brink of bipolarity. It is also linked to manipulation to get what you want.
- Sakubo is a single user, but Bo developed another personality (the manipulative Saku) as a form of protection and need to recover his sister.
- Macha tends to be linked to attraction, love and devotion. Regardless of the situation, these aspects are what create a powerful link between the avatar and user.
- Endrance's devotion to Mia was such that he absolutely refused to accept her disappearance. His desire to see her again was so strong that it ultimately manifested in the cat-like AIDA he keeps upon his shoulder.
- Tarvos likes sincerity, clarity but also the desire to defend and fight for what the user wants.
- Pi usually has control of her emotions, but she is very strong and aggressive when it comes to defeating enemies.
- Cobernik is interested in restoring the elements to their primary stage, that includes healing the users (like Aina), restoring destroyed places and purifying everything.
- Ovan wanted to help Aina above all things, eventually his determination and hope linked him to Cobernik.
- In the Japanese version, Chosen Ones were referred to as "candidates", or "qualified". The reason for the change to a more auspicious name is unknown.
- Cobernik and Innis are the only phases having visibly AIDA (black bubbles).
- Magus and Fidchell are the only phases that were never infected by AIDA.
- Haseo was infected by AIDA, but managed to get rid of it before use Skeith.
- Innis is the only avatar that had more than one User that can use its power in addition to it was stolen from Epitaph User.
- Shino was in a coma, so Innis sought another candidate, finding Atoli, but during .hack//G.U., AIDA steals the Avatar and uses its power, then AIDA transfers Innis to Sirius, however when he is defeated, Innis returns to Atoli just to be manipulated by Sakaki (with the help of AIDA) and imprison all Moon Tree members in to their @Home.